No Products in the Cart
This historic home was owned by Dr. Henry Allen Boyd (1876-1959) and his wife Georgia Bradford Boyd (1884-1952). It was acquired by Fisk University on October 11, 1938 and it is currently listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Dr. Boyd was a Fisk Trustee and part of the group of influential black men who convinced the Tennessee General Assembly to bring Tennessee State University to Nashville. Mrs. Georgia Boyd was a suffragist and a prominent figure in Nashville’s Colored Women’s Club movement who dedicated her life to serving Nashville’s poorest Black residents.
Dr. Boyd was a prolific innovator and entrepreneur in Nashville, and his efforts in the late 19th to mid- 20th century are still evident to this day. He worked diligently with his father, Dr. R. H. Boyd, to establish many businesses to suit the needs of newly freed African Americans. Some of their businesses included National Baptist Publishing Board (now R.H. Boyd Publishing Corporation); Citizens Savings & Trust Bank; Nashville’s African American newspaper, The Nashville Globe; the Negro Doll Company, which was the first toy company that specifically made Black dolls that were aesthetically pleasing and culturally representative for young children; The Union Transportation Company; The National Baptist Congress, among many others. Dr. Boyd laid the foundation for many minority-owned businesses locally and nationally. Restoring his home would be an honor, and it is imperative that this piece of Nashville’s history be preserved as an example of Black excellence and success for all to witness.R.H. Boyd is leading the endeavor in partnership with Fisk University to restore the home.
Donations to this initiative are tax-deducible. Partner with us in this endeavor.